Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oh no!

So back in October, I had to go to the dentist because a crown came off. I've had this crown for a very long time, since 1996 or so.Now, I live in the country, so medical care is not the best. It's OK to go to the hospital for minor things, but if I need major care, I would need to go elsewhere. So I thought, it shouldn't be too hard for them to replace a crown.... yeah right! So I go in and to make a long story short, he, the dental resident, bumbled around a bit, dropped the crown a few times, both on the floor and in my mouth, and permanently cements it into place... crooked! He wanted to fix it by shaving it down so that my bite would be correct, but I wouldn't let him. I felt that the bite was off a bit, but figured it's not so bad I can live with it. I didn't want him futzing around in my mouth anymore. So I go on living my life normally until today. I have a craving to chew ice since I am anemic and I do it all of the time. Lately I have have been feeling like something in my mouth is gonna break, but I just couldn't help myself. Tonight I was eating cereal and felt something crunch, so I picked it out of my mouth and quess what it was?! Half of my crown! GREAT!! couldn't believe it! I realize what has been happening, since the crown was not put on properly, it was receiving an unequal amount of pressure whenever I ate, especially if the food was crunchy. It just couldn't take anymore. Half of it is silver and the other half is porcelain, the procelain half broke off. My tooth is still covered, I guess, but I'm sure it's not OK for the long term. What does that mean for me? I AM NOT going to the dentisit here in Umphang! I am going to have to travel ALL the way to Mae Sot (4 hours away on that windy road!) to get it fixed. This will probably mean multiple trips to the dentist, to get it measured and made, etc. Such is life.... I will keep you posted.

2 comments: